2411 West 55nd Street
Chicago, IL 60632
Phone: (312) 747-6147
Following the death of Park Commissioner George W. Gage in 1875, board members of the South Park Commission voted to name a newly approved park in his honor. Gage Park is made up of four small green areas on the corner of Western and Garfield Boulevards. Despite the fact that the park occupied prime land, the development of the park moved slowly. Frustrated residents began petitioning to have the unfinished park completed in the late 1890s, but it was not until 1903 that the South Park Commission added ball fields, tennis courts, a wading pool, gardens, and a reflecting pool. In 1918, the Commission purchased several small pieces of land and extended Gage Parks southern boundary. The next year a swimming pool, gymnasiums, and a childrens playground were added to this area.
Despite the improvements made to Gage Park in the early 1900s, residents were still frustrated that the facility lacked a field house. It was not until 1926 that the South Park Commission agreed to erect a field house at Gage Park. While renowned architects designed many of the field houses in other Chicago parks, the field house at Gage Park was designed by local architects affiliated with the Park Commission. In 1928, it was jointly dedicated by the South Park commissioners and the Gage Park Citizens Improvement Club.
The interior of the field house is known for two large murals. The office mural honors the traditions of local immigrants, and the auditorium mural, painted in 1931 by artist Tom Lea, is a depiction of westbound explorers and pioneers.
Today, the four squares of Gage Park provide the community with meeting rooms and assembly halls, baseball playing fields, a gym, outdoor basketball courts, paths for walking, jogging, and cycling, playground equipment, swimming facilities, and tennis courts.