Dankmar Adler is famous for the acoustics in the Auditorium Theatre. But he first made his name with Central Music Hall, where his innovative engineering resulted in exquisite sound quality. This success helped Adler and his partner, Louis Sullivan, land the commission for the Auditorium project.
Central Music Hall stood at the southeast corner of State and Randolph streets. It was demolished in 1900 to make way for an expansion of the growing Marshall Field and Company store.