English | Preparation and Resources
Historic Landmarks: Research and Writing
To prepare to teach this lesson, teachers should:
- Watch the Seagram Building segment from the PBS special, 10 Buildings that Changed America, on DVD or at wttw.com/10buildings.
- Review the section titled “English Instruction.”
- Review the worksheet titled “English Worksheet.”
- Review resources below to be familiar with the Seagram Building and its impact on the local community and/or the community at large.
Additionally, teachers may consider identifying a select number of resources for students to use during the lesson based on the needs of their students. Providing students with a limited number of preselected sources or passages can reduce research time and focus on the reading level of students.
- Building Seagram by Phyllis Lambert
- Mies van der Rohe: A Critical Biography by Franz Schulze
- The Seagram Building: Building Blocks Series by Ezra Stoller