Looking for some simple, healthier snacks for your New Year's Eve gathering? Try these three appetizers from Gaby Dalkin, courtesy of PBS Food.
½ pound Greek feta
3 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tbsp fresh mint
⅓ tsp red pepper flakes
1 roasted red pepper, skin peeled
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients into a food processor and blend together until mostly smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning for red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with vegetables or chips to dip.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
15-oz can garbanzo beans
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans in a large colander. Continue to rinse until all the foamy liquid goes away.
2. Line the counter with a few sheets of paper towel. Place the drained garbanzo beans on top of the paper towel and let them dry for a few minutes.
3. Once the beans are dried, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on the spices. Using your hands, toss the beans around sothat they are all fully coated.
4. Roast the beans in the oven. After 20 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and give the beans a little shake, then place back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
5. Season with salt if needed and serve.
Spinach Artichoke Cups
24 wonton wrappers
1½ cup frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
1½ cup artichoke hearts, chopped
6 oz cream cheese
¼ cup sour cream
4 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray miniature muffin pan cups lightly with cooking spray. Press 1 wonton wrapper into each cup and lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake about 10 minutes until light golden brown. Remove wrappers from pan; place on a cooling rack and repeat with remaining wonton wrappers.
2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, artichoke hearts, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. You can also add 4 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese if you're craving some additional goodness. Mix with a fork and transfer to a piping bag or a large zip lock bag.
3. If using a zip lock bag, trim a medium hole on one of the bottom corners. Pipe the mixture into the cooled wonton cups until the mixture almost reaches the top.
4. Transfer the spinach artichoke cups back into the mini muffin tin and bake for 8-10 minutes until the wonton wrappers turn a darker golden brown and the spinach artichoke dip is warmed. Remove from oven and repeat with remaining cups. Serve immediately.