Chicago BLACK Restaurant Week is Back
February 8, 2024
Get more recipes, food news, and stories by signing up for our Deep Dish newsletter.
Chicago BLACK Restaurant Week is back for its ninth year from February 11 through 25 spotlighting Black-owned restaurants, bakeries, beverage purveyors, caterers, and more in the Chicago area with special menus and prices. Over 50 establishments will be offering fixed menus, and, in celebration of the year 2024, discounts of up to 24% or prices ending in $0.24 to help get people in during the slow months of winter.
“The idea came from my desire to celebrate my community, but in a way that made me feel like it was truly something that would provide a service as well!” Chicago BLACK Restaurant Week's founder Lauran Smith told us last year. Plus, "we have really, REALLY good food—everyone should have the opportunity to taste!”
Much of that food in the participating restaurants in Southern or Cajun, but you can also find:
- Haitian food at the less-than-year-old Lior's Cafe in Roseland
- Vegan dishes from The Black Vegan in Little Village
- Non-alcoholic beverages from 2048 Non-Alc Wine Shop in West Town
- Flavored popcorn from Moore Poppin' in Kenwood
- Newly crowned Best Hospitality winners from the Jean Banchet Awards at Bronzeville Winery (try a recipe from its chef, Lamar Moore)
- Both Lincoln Park's stalwart Batter & Berries and Bronzeville's acclaimed Shawn Michelle's Homemade Ice Cream have a second location in south suburban Olympia Fields; both locations of Batter & Berries are thus offering a special chicken and waffle with Shawn Michelle ice cream
- Among newly opened restaurants participating are TNT Rooftop Restaurant in Austin and Dawn A.M. Eatery in Hyde Park
You can find the full list of participating restaurants as well as their specials (some of which are available for delivery) at Chicago BLACK Restaurant Week's website, as well as theme days. The festivities kick off with a mixer for Black professionals at Kitchen + Kocktails by Kevin Kelley on February 8; tickets are required.